Sunday, February 05, 2006

A conversation between me and some guy I'd never met before in 1998:

Him: Did you know that Lucas has promised at least two action sequences in "The Phantom Menace" to rival anything in the first trilogy?
Me: I don't really know anything about all that. I just hope Lucas manages to make something good.
Him: Well, I saw an interview with him, and he said that he still considers himself an independent filmmaker. He's not going to let anybody interfere with his vision of the new trilogy.
Me: Listen, George Lucas is not an independent filmmaker. I can't believe he is trying to pass himself off in that way. The amount of money at his disposal to do whatever he wants with is beyond our ability to even imagine. If you want to see the work of an independent filmmaker, watch Larry Clark's 'Kids.'
Him: Oh, I didn't like that movie. I didn't understand it.
Me: But, what's not to understand? It's utterly straightforward.
Him: I didn't understand what that movie's target audience was supposed to be.
Me: Target Audience? Target audience? It's target audience was human beings.
Him: No, sorry. I don't think the people who made 'Kids' knew who their target audience was. It's not very clear.
(a moment of stunned silence on my part)
Me: I have no idea what to say to that. I guess you would make a good producer.
Him: Oh, thats what I want to be.
(more silence)