Saturday, March 25, 2006

Christopher Brayshaw weighs in:
"I disagree with the suggestion that Le Corbusier or the creators of your strange Victoria highrise would have thought they were foisting off anything on anybody. I think projects like these were built out of a desire to help, to solve things, to reconfigure peoples' relationships to their society, and not out of sneering disinterest in the lives of those who would live there. (I guess my thinking has been influenced by Sylvia Grace Borda's study of similar buildings in Scotland). That idealism led to the creation of uncomfortable or unliveable spaces is, for me, more interesting than the notion that these things were made out of simple contempt for their inhabitants -- just another version of the (for me, untenable) thesis that advanced art is an attempt to "put one over" on the rubes."