Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'm off to see my pal Trudi Smith's exhibition/performance/archive Finding Aid, at the UVIC Gallery today. The show is up until December 9th.

...I have taken a journey with three historical archival photographs to try to return to the original sites, to re-take the same view with my camera, and then to replicate printing the photograph. As I repeat the photographs, I produce my own account of the journey. This journey - represented in photographs, texts, video and drawings - make up the archive.

"Finding Aid" is a performance piece as I am spending this week in the gallery as the archivist. The archiving is an ongoing process and the gallery site gives me a specific time and place to work towards cataloguing and organizing and adding to the existing framework. At the same time it gives me the chance to talk with each of you.